Power BI Technics and Tips – Part 1
Power BI: Publish to Web
With Power BI Publish to Web option, you are enabled to embed your Power BI report into your blogs, websites, emails, social media, etc. only if they support the HTML iframe tag. However, when you Publish to the Web, it means that your data will be available to the public with no authorization required. Therefore, you have to be careful about what you are going to share and make sure that your report does not contain confidential or proprietary information.
In order to use Publish to Web option, you need to contact your Power BI Admin of your tenant to enable this option. If you are the admin,
go to Admin portal > Tenant settings > Publish to web and toggle Enabled.
From here, you can choose how embed codes work and who to apply to in your organization.
Once you clicked Apply, it may take up to 10 minutes to apply this setting to your tenant
Create embed code with Publish to Web
- To create embed code, open the Power BI Report. Then,
go to File > Embed report > Publish to the web (public)
- If you did not enable the Publish to Web option for your tenant, you will get the following error:
Please follow the steps in Prerequisite, to enable embed code creation.
- Review the information and click Create embed code.
- Review the warning regarding data access. Once you are done, click Publish.
- The HTML link to the report and iframe tag will be generated. The HTML link can be used to access the report directly with no Power BI license or authorization log-in required. The iframe tag can be used to integrate your report into blogs, websites, social media, etc. You can also change the size of the iframe by selecting Size dropdown box and replace Placeholder image of your choice.
Deleting/deactivating Embed code
- To remove the Embed code and disable the public sharing,
go to Settings > Manage embed codes
- You will see a list of reports that you have used Publish to Web option. Get code will pop up in the dialog box that will let you retrieve HTML link and iframe tag. To stop sharing the report to public and disable HTML link and iframe tag, click Delete.
- Click Delete to confirm the removal of the embed code.
Publish to Web support various types of data sources. However, there are limitations that will not allow you to use this option as follow:
- Reports using row-level security.
- Reports using any Live Connection data source, including Analysis Services Tabular hosted on-premises, Analysis Services Multidimensional, and Azure Analysis Services.
- Reports using a shared dataset that is stored in a different workspace from the report
- Shared and certified datasets.
- Reports are shared to you directly or through an app.
- Reports in a workspace in which you aren't an editing member.
- "R" and Python visuals aren't currently supported in Publish to web reports.
- ArcGIS Maps for Power BI visuals.
- Q&A for Power BI visuals.
- Reports containing report-level DAX measures.
- Single sign-on data query models.
- Secure confidential or proprietary information.
Admins can block public internet access, as described in Private links for accessing Power BI. In that case, the Publish to Web option is grayed out for your tenant in the Power BI admin portal.
If you'd like to learn more Power BI technics and Tips that can help your organization, contact BizOne today to schedule a free consultation!